I've been away for a while working on my final projects for school and trying to knit on the Sexy Vesty with some recycled yarn that I got from a store bought sweater. I'm also still working on losing weight (and succeeding) and trying to get to Dante's track meets, and spend time with my bossy toddler. There's so much going on and so many changes at work. My department was just cut and we have about 4 weeks before we either have to go work in the customer service department, or take the severance package. I've been with my company for five years so if I take the severance I'll get 13 weeks severance pay at 100% plus unemployment. That's about 3 months making more than I get paid right now and I'm already applying for new jobs. I'm blessed to have a rent controlled apartment so if I have no income, I pay zero rent and that means that I don't have stress about my rent. My concern is really that if I take the job in customer service, more layoffs are coming in about 6-8 weeks and if I get laid off then, I won't be offered a package. My manager fought to get this package for us and none of the other departments were offered anything. Plus they don't want us to go there if we only plan to be there for a few months.
I'm praying about my decision but it really seems like a no-brainer that I should take the package and the summer off to work on school, spend time with my boys, knit and hit the gym, and knit stuff. I've got an excel spreadsheet with all of the jobs I've applied for and when I applied so that I can follow up on them. Fortunately for me, I work in customer service and have management and clerical experience so these jobs are more plentiful now then the type of job that my husband or friend is looking for. The higher up you are, the harder it is to find a comparable job.
So now I'm going to pray on it more, and then knit some more and make a decision from there. Maybe I'll get lucky and stumble on a part time job available in a local yarn store!