Thursday, November 25, 2010

Disaster of Holiday Proportions

Today was full of disasters.  Exhibit A: Alex's chosen outfit.  It just wasn't worth fighting over.  Exhibit B: well...I'm missing a photo here because after getting my squash pie in the oven I realized that I couldn't put the pecan pie in the oven with it because they cook at different temperatures.  That's about the time that Aaron called me and said that his mom was getting dinner on the table and it was time for Alex and I to come on down.  I hadn't even started my mushroom Shepard's pie yet and told Aaron so, at which point he asked me how long it would take to cook it.  That's when I realized that I hadn't had a chance to so much as look at the recipe and when I did...I realized that I was looking at about 1 1/2 - 2 hours worth of cooking time.  For Shepard's Pie!  With no meat in it.  Really.  Thank goodness my MIL and her companion are good cooks and they think of me, because she had a really good lentil soup, and fantastic sides like mashed potatoes made with cauliflower instead of butter, butternut squash with apples, and a stuffing with mushrooms.  On the bright side, the squash pie that I made with coconut cream instead of evaporated milk came out fantastic (just a bit sweet).  Let's hope that the pecan pie with coconut oil instead of butter is equally good.

Exhibit C: again, there is no photo here because after I finished knitting the first of Dante's Christmas socks, I had him try it on only to find that not only did his feet get longer...they got wider too.  His sock was too tight.  I knit an entire sock, and had to rip it out!  That yarn is now in time out and I grabbed a different skein of his choosing to start a new pair that will fit well.  I just don't have this kind of time.  It's the holiday knitting season people!  I still have a pair of fingering weight gloves and two pairs of socks to knit (for large-footed men).  So, back to watching Julie & Julia while I knit yet another sock for The Boy, and lament the status of my poor neglected blog.

No comments: