Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween!

I love Halloween.  I always have.  It was an equal-opportunity holiday.  Halloween fun isn't dependent upon your socio-economic status.  You can be dirt poor and still have a great time, as long as you don't mind a little cold and you're willing to pound the pavement.  My poor mom would be out with us for hours as we walked half way across town and back, getting as much candy as we could possibly carry.  It would be enough to last for a month if we played our cards right.  And on what other night were we allowed to be out way past dark, or be up way past bedtime?

painting pumpkins

And then there were the spooky, kid-friendly, light weight horror movies that I loved so much!  The Ghost and Mister Chicken was a personal favorite, as was the Disney version of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow.  I watched that every year!  I also learned to love Hammer Productions' Dracula movies with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.  My love of scary movies has mostly passed Dante by, but Alex definitely got that gene, and we've been watching every Halloween episode of every cartoon we can find on Netflix (some of them more than once a day, lol).

Later, after he comes home from school, we'll watch another spooky movie and have a snack, and then get ready to go out Trick or Treating.  I sure hope it warms up a little before then because it's only in the 20's right now.  Dante's already said he's out if it get too cold, but Alex is a die-hard so we'll all have to bundle up and go out there.  I just hope he isn't too exhausted to be able to handle himself, and I don't have to haul him home kicking and screaming like I had to on Sunday at the ward party.

So, with that in mind, I'll leave you with the knowledge that I'm totally wearing my Night of the Living Socks right now, and these awesome pics of Alex as a pirate (comic book style for fun).  I've got homework to do, Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow to watch, a sweater to knit, and candy apples to make.  I hope you have a blast!





No comments: