Monday, January 9, 2012

Fly Tribe Blog Hop: Balance

 Last year, the East Coast was hit with a hurricane and we lost power for three days.  I was (and still am) in school full time, with kids in school, a husband who was having some medical issues, and I had just been asked to come back to teaching Sunday school at my church.  I was freaking out, overwhelmed, and worn out.

The storm taught me something.  When I was forced to unplug from the internet, I actually got more work done in a shorter amount of time (I know, it seems simple), but I also noticed that my boys were getting along better.  I started dinner earlier and we ate at the table together as a family.  It only took them about 12 hours to unplug and they were good.  They played outside, in their rooms, or with each other.  We went to bed early (because it was dark and there wasn't anything else to do).  We woke up early.  I cooked from scratch.  I was happy.  That was when I realized that burning the midnight oil trying to get it all done wasn't actually working.  Sometimes I needed to rest so my brain could run at full speed (see Saturday's post for another lesson on sleep, lol).  I needed Balance.
 This year, I've decided that balance was going to be my goal.  I'm still working on it, but yesterday I took the day off from school and I'm feeling more refreshed.  I'm still working on going to sleep earlier (I've tried every day for the last three night in a row, and failed).  But I've remembered to make dinner earlier and I've been creating a menu every week so that I can make a grocery shopping list for the week.  I'm hoping that if I can bring balance to my day-to-day life, I'll be able to carry that over to my creative life.
Now, about the photos, lol.  This is a pile of my current Works In Progress (commonly known as WIP's).  I struggled to come up with a way to express balance in my chosen creative form, so I decided instead to show my total lack of balance, and why I chose to go with it this year.  I have in this pile, 15 current works in progress (4 pairs of socks, two stockings, 1 sweater to repair, 1 blanket, 1 almost-finished shawl. 1 commissioned pair of pink children's mittens, fiber to be spun on my Turkish drop spindle, 2 sweaters, and a bag of sample yarns for design ideas).  This is typical of the way that I work, and I'm hoping to streamline a little this year.  And I'll admit, for the sake of full disclosure, that this large pile doesn't even represent a quarter of my current yarn stash.  I need some balance in my stash too :)
Now, I hope you enjoyed my post on balance, and I hope you'll hop on over to the Fly Tribe blog to read posts from other talented artists.

17 comments:

Librarian Christie said...

good word! Balance is something we all strive for isn't it!! happy new year!

Janet said...

When you figure out how to get balanced, I sure hope you'll share how you did it. I struggle with it daily! Good luck, and Happy 2012!

Sherry Richert Belul said...

I loved your reminder of how important balance is in our life. The story of getting unplugged made me think a lot about how I can inspire myself to slow down and get real. Thanks so much! May 2012 bring you lots of balance. :-)

Kathy May said...

Great Word "balance", but I don't know that I could ever accomplish that one. You are a brave lady!!! Good Luck and best wishes for an amazing 2012!!!

Luna said...

Yes, please let us know the secret when it all falls into place. Great word choice! Thank you for sharing your story, too.

Hoping you find that balance you seek! Happy wishes...:)

Unknown said...

That is definitely a word we could all use! Happy New Year Cambria!

Tinachicky said...

oooooh, just looking at that yarn makes me giddy! I love your word!

Ann Marie said...

Balance is so important to us all. It is a good thing. Happy New Year! And here's to being more balanced.

Mary said...

I suspect we could all use a little more of your word in our lives. Brave you, for showing pics of your WIP's! I've been in the midst of a studio clean up for the past week and a half. Haven't had the nerve to take pics. Hoping you fly (with balance) in 2012!

Lady of the Greenwood said...

I'm so glad that you chose the word 'balance'. Its good to be reminded from time to time to reassess our lives and prioritize what is most important.

Anonymous said...

I was in a similar place last year. I think striving for balance is a never ending journey! Good luck, Cam!

Lori said...

Balance is often a difficult thing especially with so many outside pulls. May 2012 provide you with balance in all that you dream. xoxo

Kelly said...

I chose balance, too! I hear ya about the stash; always a struggle to keep it under control. Toasting to a balanced 2012 for both of us!

Mary said...

Balance is on my favorite word list - love even the sound of that word. Also love all that yarn and think it is a great creative outlet.

Carmen Patti said...

My first time to your site, and I love your title!! I am so in the same boat as you...even though my word is connect...I really think it is more about balance.good luck..

chelle said...

hope you find your balance in 2012! a great word to choose, Happy New Year!

Cindy Jones Lantier said...

I hope you find your balance this year! Isn't it amazing what simplifying a bit can do for us?