Monday, December 5, 2011

Holiday Madness

Today, after I went to Petco for cat food and cat nip, I went into Michael's looking for plain tree-shaped blocks of wood to paint for Alex's Thomas set.  I didn't find that, but I did find some pre-painted trees and a boat, a light house, and a sun.  But I also found a gingerbread Christmas tree, and a foam gingerbread house that he can put together.  I figure that if I get a few inexpensive things and let him color/paint/put together one every day or two...that should hold him till Christmas.  I even found a wooden advent calendar with dials that let you count down the days until Christmas, and he gets to paint it!

Meanwhile, I've finished the first of his socks so I know that at least Alex will have socks in his stocking on Christmas morning.  I'm still in the middle of Aaron's first one, and I haven't even cast on for Dante's socks.  But the good news is that these stockings I'm knitting are basically worsted-weight socks so there's a good chance that I can finish them in about a week.  The only issue I've had so far is that I've had to completely chart the colorwork myself using Intwined Pattern Studio, because the chart is non-existent.  I'm also going to need to re-write the pattern because much of it is missing.  So I'm pretty much reverse engineering from the stocking itself.  Maybe when I'm all done, I'll refresh this vintage pattern and release it with modern directions (if I can find the time, lol). 

Also, tomorrow I'm teaching a knitting workshop at the Blithewold Mansion in Bristol RI from 6-8pm, if you're in the area.  Stop in and knit a scarf or a cowl with us!

No comments: