Tuesday, June 30, 2009

And it begins

Today I spoke to the woman who will be Dante's tutor and set up their first session. She lives right next to my gym so I'll drop him off and go work out. I also was advised to call today and ask the principal if I can borrow the text book for next year, and good thing that I got this advice today because it was her last day. I'm on my way to being a manicuring slave, but it'll be well worth it when my son goes into 7th grade understanding what he's being taught. And while I was making phone calls today I called the LEA and left her a message expressing my concern that he passed math considering that every peace of information that came home showed him to be failing. I asked her to look at his teacher's grade book to prove how he passed, since i believe that they passed him so that they can get rid of me and avoid paying for his services. Little do they know that I'm now an informed parent with resources and it's not going to be so easy. If anything, they ticked me off further.

I checked the mail today and received my package from The Knitters Guild of America. It was just a print out in an envelope of several assignments. I was expecting a large package or something, (not sure why) so I was a little disappointed when I initially opened the envelope. After I had time to look over it, I felt a little apprehensive about my abilities. It's not enough to knit the 16 swatches, answer the 17 questions and turn in the research paper...it has to be done correctly and if it's not up to standards it will be sent back to be redone. I have a year from the date that I received the kit (today) to complete the assignments (also nerve wrecking...will I need a year?) and if it takes me over that I'll have to go online to see if the assignments have been revised and get a newer copy. This is something that I've wanted to do for a while but I feel a little insecure about it now. I'm sure that like most things, I'm making this way harder than it needs to be and once I learn to relax and simplify I'll do just fine.

In other news, Dante will be 12 on Sunday and he will be ordained into the Aaronic Priesthood on the same day. I can't really think about it too much because it really means a lot to me and I cry every time I think about it. I feel like I've accomplished something and that for all the screwing up I've done, I did something right. I can really feel how connected he is to God and I feel like all the struggling I've done, and all the times that I went to church even when I didn't feel like it have paid off and now I can see the start of the results from the seed that I planted 10 years ago. I'm going to have the priesthood in my home and my oldest son (whom I don't trust to take cookies out of the oven or use a steak knife) will have a great responsibility granted to him. I have to remember that he's capable of more than I give him credit for, and so are all of the rest of us. Our Heavenly Father knows that, and it's our duty to try to remember it ourselves. And with that, I'll get off my soap box and get ready to go to knitting group.

No comments: