Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Bunny Tail and the Placket Neck Pullover


So recently my friend from church had her baby, and I realized the day after that I'd never gotten around to knitting anything for the baby.  That might not be such a big deal, except that I'd knit something for their first baby and I have a theory that the new baby should have something of their very own so that when they grow up, they won't think that I thought that they were less special than the first born.  I guess that means that if I knit for your first child...I'm knitting for all of your subsequent children, lol.  Anyway, I realized this fact on Friday and pulled out my Last Minute Knitted Gifts.  There's a hat in there that I've knit a few other times in cases just like this one, but this time I went for the Child's Placket-neck Pullover.  It was in the 4-6 hour section and uses DK weight yarn and size 7 needles (4.5mm) to knit up a super cute and super quick baby sweater.  I modified the placket-neck a little bit to add button holes, as the pattern used large seed-beads as buttons and they didn't require button holes.  Other than that, I knit it as written using Sublime Cashmere Merino Silk DK in a taupe color that looks gray in certain lighting.  I bought 3 balls but only needed 1.75 for the sweater so I decided to go for it and knit a hat too.

My friend Denise has a copy of Itty Bitty Hats, and I knit the Bunny Tail hat with the same yarn on the same size needles, in a newborn size.  I still have about 3/4 of a ball left over!  This hat is the cutest damn thing I've ever knit, at least recently.  Knitting the ears is probably my favorite part of the pattern, and unknown to me, the hat has a tail on it!  I've never seen a photo of the tail. Anyway, there's no photo yet because the recipient has been known to read this blog and I want them to receive the package before I post it for everyone on the inter-web to see.  Now, I've got a huge amount of homework this week so I'll be busy with that for a little bit.  As you were.

Edited to add:  The package has been delivered.  Here's the photos you didn't get to see...


1 comment:

Kelly said...

Love the picture of Dante and Eddie!