Saturday, October 9, 2010

Pumpkins, pumpkins, everywhere

It's the Great Pumpkin
Yesterday we took Alex to the Jack-o-lantern spectacular at the Roger Williams Zoo (which was expensive but definitely a good show).  This is just one of the 30-odd photos that Aaron took and we'll get them up on facebook later, but I thought it was a good segue to the hat that I knit for Alex.

It's the pumpkin hat from Itty-Bitty Hats.  This is one of the best baby books out there, and I seriously need to buy a copy for myself because I've knit three hats since I borrowed this one. 

the pumpkin hat from itty-bitty hats
 So the story of the hat goes like this.  I knit the bunny hat (as you know) and Alex woke up and liked it, and asked for me to knit one for him too.  Well, as he's 4...and a boy...and looks like he's 6, I decided to steer him toward a different hat.  He agreed to a pumpkin, and here it is.  I knit the hat with Berroco Comfort (worsted weight at 4 sts per inch instead of a DK at 5.5 sts per inch).  According to my trusty Ann Budd Handy Book of Patterns, his size + my gauge = 88sts, which is exactly how many stitches they say to cast on for the largest size of the hat.  With that lucky break, I was able to just follow the exact directions as written, with my only modification being how long to knit before starting the decreases (6 1/2 inches).  This hat went so fast that even Aaron noticed!

stem and leaf
 I've got plenty of the orange left over, and I had the brown left over from the monkey blanket, so I think I'll work up a quick cowl for Alex to use up the yarn.  Plus maybe if I knit one for him, I'll get mine back.

Next time, maybe I'll get photos up of the cabled hat.  It's pretty sweet if I don't say so myself...and I do.



No comments: