Thursday, March 24, 2011

The scariest thing I've done this month, lol

Does this look like the face of calm?...because it's not.  I went way out of my comfort zone today.  I've been reading a wonderful book designed to help budding knitware designers get started.  The chapter on social media made me realize that I haven't been taking advantage of the different ways that people communicate with each other.  No wonder people don't know I'm here, lol.  So today, against my better (and ultimately incorrect) judgment, I started a group on Ravelry for my designs.  It's a place where I can update people about my latest projects, answer questions about the designs, get some input on what people look for in designs, and let knitters show off their finished projects. 

You know, I've joined many groups like this and I've always thought that knitters just made these groups for designers that they really love.  It never occurred to me that designers might have started a few of these groups on their own.  It felt like I was trying to draw attention to myself...you know... 'Look at me!  Look what I made!', but honestly, isn't that sort of the point?  So after playing with Photoshop for an hour or so to create the border and banner and witty description, it was time to send the invitations. 

The invitations.  I've never been so freaked out in my life (at least in recent months).  I went through my friends page, searching for people that I've interacted with on Ravelry a few times (so it wouldn't seem like a bizarre person was sending random invites).  After a few pages, I decided that if I was going to get shot down...I might as well be shot down by famous designers, lol.  So I sent a few invites out to some designers...you'd know them...and then I had a moment of panic right before I hit send.  Was I really going to do this?  Is it okay if I make my own group?  Will it come off as pretentious?  Will anyone accept my invite?  Am I really having this conversation with myself right now?  Thankfully, my husband (who was sitting on the couch listening to this mess) told me to just hit send already.  So I did.  And right away a knitter accepted my invite (thanks Traci!).  I felt really great.  Of course I got several 'declines' but surprisingly I was fine with it.  So now I've got this fantastic group on Ravelry dedicated to my designs, and I have no idea what to do with it right now, lol.  Next up... my own webpage!  Onward!

No comments: