Monday, May 18, 2009

Hello from the land of the Lay-off

Thursday, 5/14 turned out to be the day that they finally laid us off. We came in at 8:30am and were out of there with our severance packages in hand by 10:30am. We all went over to Chili's and had drinks (or in my case a virgin pina colada and a giant chocolate desert), and some appetizers, and talked badly about our former employer, lol. Then I went to my MIL's house and hung out till I felt like going home.

I've decided to spend some time at home just doing nothing, but that's been harder than I thought. I keep thinking that I'm supposed to be somewhere, or that I should start looking for another job, and then I have to tell myself that I'm not doing ANYTHING work related for at least two weeks. I've been working for eight straight years with out a real vacation, and last year I only took a week off. I think it's time for me to take some time off.

On the home front, I've been working on potty training, and Alex is really into flushing the toilet. I took him up to the doctor's office today because he used the potty about nine times in thirty minutes and just peed a little bit each time. I thought there might be something wrong, but the doctor said that it's more likely that he's not letting his bladder get full because he wants the reward that comes after he uses the potty (flushing the toilet), lol. So not I have to reward him less and see if he actually lets his bladder get full, and if so then I don't have anything to worry about because I'll know what it was. It was really funny to see him just walk into the back office when they called him. He said "HI" to the nurse, let her take his weight and then just went waltzing into the office she directed him to. Then he said to his doctor when he came into the room "Hi Dr. Cummings!" It was so funny and I've never heard him do that. I didn't realize he even knew his doctor's name. Then on the way out he proceeded to tell us that his sticker had Thomas on it (the tank engine) after I told the doctor that he didn't know who it was because he's never seen that show. The doctor asked him "Alex, what else do you know that we don't know about?", lol.

In the world of knitting, I'm knitting a pair of Monkey socks by Cookie A. I cashed in my Bella Bucks from Bella Yarns and picked up some limited edition Skinny Sheep Feet yarn and cast right on. These are just beautiful and I think I'll be wearing these to death. I might even use this pattern to teach a sock class to my friends from church who talked about wanting to learn socks. I worked with a friend yesterday and she's off and running with her yarn and double-pointed needles. I'm very hopeful and will be waiting to hear that she's ready to turn the heel.

No comments: