Monday, September 14, 2009

Why do I do this? part 2

So yesterday I realized that I've been fooling myself and that the colors I chose for my Ivy League vest just aren't working out. Mist is too light to be next to Cream, and Ash is too dark to be next to Forest Heather so the pretty pattern gets lost in the colors. I've also been a bit unsure about using Currant. So after a week of ignoring my gut and just trudging along because people liked the colors so much, I've faced facts and decided that I can't go any farther. I've got gaps in the start of the row because of trying to carry the colors up the sides and I'm starting to think I might not want to do the fake seam on the side...I mean, the pattern only says to use the contrasting color, but that could be either of the two colors in a row so how should I know which one to use, or maybe I'm interpreting that wrong (and it wouldn't be the first time I did that) and I'm supposed to use the contrasting color that I start the ribbing with the entire way. So I sucked it up and went back to Knit Picks and ordered all new colors, and paid for 3-day express shipping so I can get started again by knitting night. I got a darker tan, a lighter brown and gray, and two really pretty pinks (one light and one dark). I think I'll really like these colors much better. And while I was there, I ordered their fair isle vest pattern in the neutral tone that uses all the colors that I've been trying to put together in this vest so I'll have one with greens in the end, but I really needed better colors for a vest as detailed at Ivy League.

Tonight, I spent my time working on my math (and I'm really cutting it close these days) and casting on my Beetlejuice socks just for something to do until I get my new yarns. I've got the fair isle itch but I'm just not going to spend any more time on this vest in the wrong colors. I really love these colors, but I don't want to get too into something that I won't want to put down when my vest arrives...if it arrives as I'm having trouble with my mail again.

This issue with the mail has been ongoing. It's turning into a saga, much like the Yarn Harlot's battle of the squirrels, only with less fur and chirping. It started with us forgetting to check our mail for a few days (it may have been about a week), and after sever nasty exchanges through letters written on our mail by my husband and the postman, they finally stopped our delivery and we had to go down to the main office to get things straightened out. It's happened a few times over the years, but the latest instance happened last week when I went out to check my mail and found that there was a brand new lock on the box, to which I don't have a key. So I've called my manager's office three times and left three messages, as well as leaving a note with the office to try to get a key and no one has called us back about it so I'm sure that the local mail man is ticked off at us again and that our mail is being held at the main office again. So tomorrow on my day off (to take a toddler to the dentist...) I'll be going into the office to find out why it is that I can't get anyone to call me back regarding my mail but I can call about a blocked bathroom sink on a Sunday morning and can get a person out here in less than an hour.

No comments: