Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Success... I think.

Well, I've been working on my sweater and it's now February...and I'm not finished with it.  It was the need to knit a new pair of mittens with detachable i-cord, and a pair of gloves for Dante (and a pair of socks for each of the boys) that took up all of my knitting time in January...oh, and the final projects.  Can't forget about the final projects.  I got 100% on each of those papers, by the way ;)


Anyway, my friend Heather came over on Saturday night and we followed the instructions in Custom Knits by Wendy Bernard (of Knit and Tonic fame) to make a dress-form out of duct tape.  There's a part in the directions where she tells you that you'll have to get over the shock of seeing what your body actually looks like, and she's not kidding!  We were successful in creating the form, and then I took a look at my own upper body and was genuinely depressed.  It's just sad.  So sad that I complained about it for most of the rest of the night.  I complained do much that my poor husband went out and bought me a fat-burner for when I return to the gym.  I'd been kicking the idea around, but I hadn't done anything about it yet.  He went out and read every single label to make sure there wasn't anything I was allergic to in the ingredients, and then came home with one, because he's a sweet man and men like to fix things when we get upset.  If I hadn't been bitterly lamenting my waste-line, and I didn't understand the need for a man to fix things instead of just listening, I might have been offended but I wasn't.  Because that's how bad my body really looks when it's wrapped in duct tape!

Yesterday we ran some errands and for the up-teenth time I thought to myself that my fingering weight, lace tam just isn't warm enough for the days when the wind really blows and I need to knit a heavier hat.  I decided yesterday that it was time to do something about it, and I took out my pretty, girl-y pink Cascade 220 superwash handpaint yarn and cast on for Brambles.  I wasn't sure about cables and variegated yarn, but I think that the colors are so subtle that it'll work out just fine.  I'm going to use the cable to knit matching mittens and then if I have any yarn left over, I'll look at a neck warmer too.  I guess that'll be more time off of my sweater knitting, but I'm hoping to make up for some of that by knitting a few with some of my Cascade Eco wool and Eco +, which should knit up pretty fast (and should fit pretty darn well now that I've got this dress form that shows where all my important measurements are).

Oh, and lastly (and totally off topic), I went to the new LDS.org website (thanks to the tutorial by a member of our ward on Sunday), and bought myself a subscription to the Ensign magazine...finally!  Who else is proud of me?... lol.

No comments: